The next station on tour B of the Dutch Maze and Labyrinth Symposium 2011 on June 3, was the church labyrinth in Nieuwegein.
In the entrance area on the west side of the neo-Gothic Saint Nicolaaskerk, consecrated in 1875, is a labyrinth about 4 x 4 metres, made of dark and bright tiles. The way is formed by two rows of bright stones, while the boundary line is a row of dark stones. The form is basically square, even if the four corners are “sloped”. In the middle is the Latin inscription: Per crucem ad coronam (by the cross to the crown). The labyrinth has five circuits.
The alignment is adopted from the five inner circuits of the Chartres labyrinth, even if it is mirrored.
The church was projected by the Dutch architect Alfred Tepe (1840-1920); who has sketched the labyrinth, is not known.